Take a Field Trip to the CMA!
Each year the Children’s Museum of Acadiana works hard to present exciting field trip experiences to students and teachers across the more than 37 parishes it serves! Field Trips are available Monday through Friday. Note: Monday field trips require a minimum of 50 paying students. If you would like to book a field trip please review the field trip requirements below, then call the Museum and speak with Meagan Diamond at 337.232.8500.
Ready to book your field trip? Click here to request a trip.
How many students may I bring on a field trip?
All field trips require a minimum of 15 students and most can accommodate up to 120 students. Groups that arrive with less than 15 students will still be charged for 15 students.
How do I make a reservation?
Reservations are taken on a first-come, first serve basis and can be made by calling the museum at (337) 232-8500, Tuesday – Friday, 10:00AM-4:30PM. You may also complete a Field Trip Request Form on our website, cmalaf.org. Once your request is processed you will be contacted to finalize details and confirm the date and time of your trip. We recommend scheduling your trip early in the school year in order to secure your preferred dates and times.
How do I make a reservation?
Reservations are taken on a first-come, first serve basis and can be made by calling the museum at (337) 232-8500, Tuesday – Friday, 10:00AM-4:30PM. We recommend scheduling your trip early in the school year in order to secure your preferred dates and times.
When do we pay for our field trip?
A $75 deposit holds your date and time. Your field trip reservation is not secured until the deposit is paid. The deposit is refundable if your reservation is cancelled at least 30 days prior to the scheduled date. If reserving your trip at least three weeks in advance, the deposit is due within two weeks of making the reservation. Trips reserved less than three weeks in advance will need to pay the deposit within two business days.
Please call (337) 232-8500 to pay deposit with a credit card number or mail checks to: Children’s Museum of Acadiana, 201 East Congress, Lafayette, LA 70501.
Your full payment (minus the deposit) is due upon arrival on the day of your field trip. One week prior to your trip you will be sent an invoice based off of the number of students you indicated would be attending. Refunds will not be given for overpayment.
Can I cancel or reschedule a reservation?
If you need to cancel or reschedule your field trip please call (337) 232-8500. If you have already paid the deposit, it can be applied to another trip within the same school year. For those who do not wish to reschedule, the deposit will be refunded as long as the trip is cancelled at least 30 days before the scheduled field trip.
What happens if our group arrives late?
Please note that it may not be possible to extend your trip, if you arrive after your scheduled time. If your group arrives late, we will make every effort possible to make sure that everyone can experience as much as possible. Please consider morning traffic when selecting your arrival time.
How will my students tour the museum?
Students will be broken up into small groups to tour the museum. When your field trip is confirmed, you will be told how many small groups will be needed for your trip. Determining your groups prior to arrival will expedite the orientation process and allow for more time in our exhibits. At least one adult is needed to chaperone each small group.
How many chaperones do I need to bring?
At least one adult is needed to lead each small group that will tour the museum. For the best field trip experience, we recommend having no more than one adult for every five to eight students. Parent chaperones will be charged an admission fee of $3.00. Teachers and school faculty will be admitted at no cost.
Where do buses drop-off and pick-up students?
We recommend that buses drop-off your group at our pedestrian entrance on Polk Street and that they pick up your group at our Congress Street exit doors. Buses may park on Taylor Street in the designated bus parking zone, past the entrance to our parking lot. Buses may also park on the side of the parking garage on Polk Street.
Where do parents park?
Parents may access our free parking lot off of Taylor Street. If our parking lot is full, we recommend parking in the Vermillion Street Parking Garage or at parking meter close to the museum.
Can we eat lunch at the museum?
While we do not have an onsite lunch facility, Parc Sans Souci is located across the street from the museum, and is a great place for your group to have lunch. Lunch breaks are not offered during the middle of a field trip. Your group is also welcome to eat lunch in our courtyard. In the case of inclement weather, your group may eat lunch in our lobby.
Field Trip Requirements and Policies:
- A $75 deposit is due within two weeks of reserving your field trip, or your field trip will be cancelled.
- After the reservation is made, a Field Trip Policy Agreement will be emailed or faxed to the booking teacher that will need to be signed and returned within two weeks of the booking.
- If both the deposit and the Field Trip Policy Agreement have not been received after two weeks of the booking date, the field trip will be considered cancelled and will automatically be removed from the CMA calendar. Field trips are not confirmed until the deposit and the signed Field Trip Policy Agreement are returned.
- Field trips booked within two weeks of the actual field trip will be required to provide a credit card number at the time of booking, and the $75 deposit will be processed immediately.
- Refunds of the deposit will only be given if cancelled at least 30 days prior to the field trip, and will be sent via mail within 30 days of the cancellation.
- The deposit from a cancelled field trip can be applied to a rescheduled field trip within the same school year.
- There must be at least one (1) adult for every six (6) children. Any group not having the required number of adults will be assessed an additional $25.00 fee, unless other arrangements have been made.
- Students must be pre-grouped in groups of no less than (5) and no more than (6), with at least one adult per child.
- For regular, 90 minute field trips, a minimum of 10 students must be present in order to receive the group rate. The minimum increases to 20 students for field trips with special programming.
- All children must wear name tags. (school’s name and child’s name).
- All children must remain with the designated adults (chaperones).
The Children’s Museum of Acadiana looks forward to seeing you soon!
Revised: Web Teacher Info 6/13
Teacher Field Trip Information
Welcome to the Teacher Field Trip Information Page! The CMA invites you and your class to open up new worlds of discovery.
Before Your Visit:
- Pre-visits are available to teachers by appointment only
- All field trips must be scheduled prior to the day of the visit
- All field trip goups must consist of at least 10 children to qualify for our group rate
- Notification of cancellation must occur 24 hours before your scheduled visit
- Chaperones must be at least 15 years of age and be prepared to participate with the children on their visit
- Any child (not attending the field trip) over 12 months of age and accompanying a chaperone will be charged our regular admission fee of $5.
Day of Your Visit:
- 1 adult for every 5 children is mandatory. More adults are always welcome! Any group under the required number of adults will be assessed an additional $25.00 to cover extra staff, unless previous arrangements have been made.
- All children must wear name tags including their first name and group name
- Review and stongly encourage “Museum Manner” and “Museum Rules” with your group which can be found on the top of your rotations card or museum floor map, available at the front desk.
- Children must remain in their groups with their chaperone(s) at all times for their safety, ensuring a positive museum experience.